Named one of Korea’s most beautiful women, Song Hye-kyo has certainly made a name for herself in her home country, starring in hit dramas and films like Full House, That Winter, the Wind Blows.
This month, she stars alongside Tony Leung and Zhang Ziyi in the Wong Kar-wai-directed martial arts drama flick, The Grandmaster.
But, there’s more to the actress than just her stunning looks and remarkably impressive resume. For those of you who aren’t in love with her already, here’s some facts about the South Korean beauty that are sure to get you intrigued.
1. She’s released two photo/photo-essay books: 2011’s Song Hye-Kyo’s Moment and 2012’s It’s Time for Hye-Kyo.
2. Naturally, she’s an advertiser’s dream, starring in ads and CF’s (commercial films) for big-name brands like Laniege, Levi’s, Etude House, and McDonald’s.
3. Like popular actress Han Ga-in, Song Hye-kyo is a VIP. Not just a Very Important Person, but a fan of Big Bang, whose fans are called “VIP’s.” In an interview, she mentions how their music gives her “positive energy” and how the group’s “sense of freedom” is something that she enjoys.
4. Her and former boyfriend Hyun Bin (of Secret Garden fame) were voted by Koreans as the couple they’d most like to see get back together (and we’d have to agree!).
5. She puts her fame to good use. Over the years, her philanthropy and volunteer work has included: providing funds to help establish an elementary school in China, volunteering at a local animal shelter, advocating for animal rights, designing a bag with mega-brand Celine in which all proceeds went to charity, and funding the creation of Braille guidebooks for the Independence Hall of Korea in Cheonan.
6. She gifted her mother with a home worth 6,000,000,000 KRW (~$5.3 million). It is the most expensive single family home in Korea.
7. She recently showed off her singing chops in a super sweet duet with Superstar K2’s John Park called “Switch”: it was made to be the background music for a makeup commercial!
8. She’s a fashion favorite: besides appearing in various editorials for top Korean magazines like Elle, Vogue and High Cut, she’s sat front row at one of Chanel’s fashion shows, being invited by Karl Lagerfeld himself!