Earlier this month, we discussed the controversy between SM Entertainment and Jessica, who is no longer part of popular K-pop girl group, Girls’ Generation. For a while, this controversy seemed to be the only thing that K-Pop fans could talk about. Well it appears it wasn’t only the fans who were concerned. Slowly but surely, more and more K-Pop idols began commenting on the ordeal.
Photo courtesy of http://news.newsway.co.kr
On October 8th, a Korean MBC talk show program called Radio Star invited four Super Junior members (Siwon, Kangin, Leeteuk, and Eunhyuk) for their feature program.
During the program, the Jessica’s controversy was mentioned and one of the show’s MCs stated, “There’s nothing more to say. Isn’t that the end for Jessica’s [career in Girls’ Generation]?”
Leeteuk defended Jessica by saying, “You think this will be the end.”
Needless to say, this statement began stirring a flurry of questions from fans who wondered what he meant by that. Leeteuk later clarified his statement by saying, “You never know what will happen … life goes on as we resolve problems.”
Photo courtesy of http://news.naver.com/
Meanwhile, Girls’ Generation member Sooyoung directly apologized for Jessica’s exit on SBS’s One Night of TV Entertainment, her regularly hosted weekly talk show.
During the show, Sooyoung commented, “Having to relay this sort of sudden news is simply distressing and I’m sorry. For the sake of everyone who loves and support Girls’ Generation, we will try even harder to show a hard-working Girls’ Generation. Please watch over us. I am sorry.”
As of now, only two Girls’ Generation members, Taeyeon and Sooyoung, have ever commented about Jessica’s departure from Girls’ Generation.
–STORY BY MICHELLE KIM
Feature image courtesy of http://www.spektramedia.com/ Translation courtesy of http://moonroknews.com/
There has been some major controversy in the past few days concerning SM Entertainment. More specifically, about Jessica’s withdrawal from popular K-pop girl group, Girls’ Generation.
Recently, Jessica posted on her Weibo (the Chinese microblogging service) that she was unjustifiably released from the Girls’ Generation and she was devastated that she can no longer serve as a member of the girl group.
And why was the popular member released from the group? Well SM Entertainment released an official statement saying her release was caused by disagreements with Jessica’s new fashion business, Blanc Group, which launched earlier in August.
The agency claims they discovered Jessica was embarking on her new fashion business without full approval and no agreement, but Jessica is disagreeing with these allegations.
Jessica argues that she had multiple discussions with both her agency and her group members over her new business. Jessica claims that there was a clear understanding about her new career and it was agreed that she would remain a member of Girls’ Generation.
On September 16, she met with her agency representatives and received permission to continue her business, but later on September 29, she was notified that she was no longer part of Girls’ Generation.
Meanwhile, there have also been rumors that Jessica’s withdrawal was related to her engagement with her Korean-American boyfriend Tyler Kwon, CEO of Cordiel Group. However, Kwon made clear on his Weibo that he was not planning to get married any time soon and further encouraged Jessica to remain patient for a little longer as “the truth about what really happened will be known.”
Girls’ Generation is an internationally recognized K-pop girl group that has been active since 2007. Although Jessica is no longer a member of Girls’ Generation, she had recently renewed her contract with SM Entertainment for an additional 3 years. SM has stated that they will continue to support Jessica with her solo activities.
There’s no denying it- when it comes to KCON 2013, EXO easily ranks as the group we’re most excited to see. Admittedly, we had some doubts when we first laid eyes on this group. You see, EXO is separated into two subgroups, EXO K and EXO M, which promotes in Korea and China respectively. But together? This boy band totals to 12 members. Overwhelming? Just a bit. As much as we wanted to get to know the line-up for KCON, was learning all 12 members worth it?
YES. The answer to that question is a very enthusiastic yes.
Any doubts we may have had about this group were blown out the window when EXO released the music video to their song “Growl” and created an online frenzy. How good is this thing? People who had no previous interest in KPOP what-so-ever were complimenting the song, the hypnotizing dance, and the music video style.
Needless to say, we had this video on repeat for days. In less than four minutes, the boys were able to grab our attention and keep it there. Suddenly we were watching their interviews, listening to their songs, and slowly but surely learning their names and personalities. (We were also squealing, blushing, and hyperventilating over our favorites, but lets not get into that)
So we’re here to help you out. Having some trouble distinguishing the boys from one another? Check out Audrey’s Ultimate Guide to EXOand you’ll be all set for this weekend!
1) S U H O
NAME: Suho (Kim Joongmyun) HEIGHT: 5’8” BIRTHDATE: May 22, 1991 NATIONALITY: Korean POSITION: Leader, Lead Vocalist IDEAL TYPE: Suho likes a girl with an interest in literature and long, straight hair. He wants someone that is knowledgeable with an explosive personality. FUN FACT: Known for spoiling his band members by buying them lots of food.
DISTINGUISHABLE TRAIT: It is said that he looks similar to Super Junior’s Choi Siwon
2) B A E K H Y U N NAME: Baekhyun (Byun Baekhyun) HEIGHT: 5’7” BIRTHDATE: May 6, 1992 NATIONALITY: Korean POSITION: Main Vocalist IDEAL TYPE: Baekhyun likes a gir that is full of charm. He likes a girl that looks good wearing jeans, which means someone with a good figure. FUN FACT: Some of his international fanbase has nicknamed him “Bacon” DISTINGUISHABLE TRAIT: Thick Eyeliner and Charming Smile
3) C H A N Y E O L NAME: Chanyeol (Park Chanyeol) HEIGHT: 6’1” BIRTHDATE: November 27, 1992 NATIONALITY: Korean POSITION: Main Rapper, Vocalist IDEAL TYPE: Chanyeol wants someone cute, someone who smiles a lot, and someone who is sincere person. Someone who will laugh when he is talking to her and has a bubbly personality. FUN FACT: He is very musically talented and plays the guitar, drums, bass, djembe, and more. DISTINGUISHABLE TRAIT: Big Smile (sometimes jokingly a creeper smile)
4) D. O. NAME: D.O. (Do Kyungsoo) HEIGHT: 5’8” BIRTHDATE: January 12, 1993 NATIONALITY: Korean POSITION: Main Vocalist IDEAL TYPE: D.O.’s priority is that the girl is kind and appreciates good food. He wants a sexy, cute, and beautiful girl. FUN FACT: He is the cleanest and tidiest member of EXO DISTINGUISHABLE TRAIT: Thick lips and strong brows
5) K A I NAME: Kai (Kim Jongin) HEIGHT: 6’0” BIRTHDATE: January 14, 1994 NATIONALITY: Korean POSITION: Main Dancer, Vocalist, Lead Rapper IDEAL TYPE: Kai likes girls who are gentle and passionate. His ideal type is Han Ye Seul. FUN FACT: He has amazing dance skills – He’s been doing ballet and jazz since childhood DISTINGUISHABLE TRAIT: ABS
6) S E H U N NAME: Sehun (Oh Sehun) HEIGHT: 5’11” BIRTHDATE: April 12, 1994 NATIONALITY: Korean POSITION: Lead Dancer, Rapper, Sub-Vocalist IDEAL TYPE: Sehun likes girls who are bright and cheerful. He also wants them neat and clean. FUN FACT: He is the youngest of the group and has a habit of sticking his tongue out DISTINGUISHABLE TRAIT: Uninterested/stoic resting face
__________________________________________ EXO M
7) X I U M I N NAME: Xiumin (Birthname: Kim Min Seok) HEIGHT: 5’8” BIRTHDAY: March 27, 1990 NATIONALITY: Korean BAND POSITION: Lead vocals, Lead dancer IDEAL TYPE: A comforting person who can keep him warm with hugs and will also smile at him brightly. FUN FACT: He’s often been told that he looks like the Wonder Girls’ Sohee (http://24.media.tumblr.com/ff03db8621b7dd8579a0993a88b390d2/tumblr_mprfjwCbom1st49nxo1_500.jpg_ ) and is the “high note champion” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqaWYRvk2P4) of the group. DISTINGUISHABLE TRAIT: Sharp eyes and round cheeks (one of his nicknames is Baozi, or “Little Bun”)!
8) L U H A N NAME: Luhan (Birthname: Lu Han) HEIGHT: 5’10” BIRTHDAY: April 20, 1990 NATIONALITY: Chinese BAND POSITION: Lead vocalist, lead dancer, “Face” of the group IDEAL TYPE: A gentle, quiet girl who is graceful and elegant and someone who will cheer him on. Physically, he likes a girl with long straight hair and fair skin. FUN FACT: He’s scared of heights; in fact, when the group went to Disneyland, he stayed with their manager and didn’t go on a lot of the rides. DISTINGUISHABLE TRAIT: Large, doe-like eyes
9) L A Y
NAME: Lay (Birthname: Zhang Yi Xing) HEIGHT: 5’9.5” BIRTHDAY: October 7, 1991 NATIONALITY: Chinese BAND POSITION: Main dancer, Vocalist IDEAL TYPE: A girl who is kind-hearted, cute and respectful with a positive personality. Physically, someone who has large eyes, long hair and shorter than him. FUN FACT: In 2010, he was in SHINee’s concert tour as Jonghyun’s dance replacement. DISTINGUISHABLE TRAIT: One dimple on his right cheek
10) K R I S NAME: Kris (Birthname: Wu Yi Fan) HEIGHT: 6’1.5” BIRTHDAY: November 6, 1990 NATIONALITY: Chinese-Canadian BAND POSITION: Leader, Main Rapper, Sub-Vocals IDEAL TYPE: Likes girls who can cook, are kind-hearted and willing to take care of people. FUN FACT: Though he doesn’t draw well by most people’s standards, he firmly believes in his artistic ability. DISTINGUISHABLE TRAIT: Strong, bold eyes and eyebrows
11) T A O
NAME: Tao (Huang Zi Tao) HEIGHT: 6’0” BIRTHDAY: May 2, 1993 NATIONALITY: Chinese BAND POSITION: Lead Rapper, Vocalist, Maknae (Youngest) IDEAL TYPE: A girl who is pretty with a nice body and has a nice personality. But, he’s revealed that love isn’t something he’s necessarily looking for, saying in an interview, “I really don’t care [about love/ideal types] because I’m still young and I’m a hardworking ninja that want to focus on my career.” FUN FACT: He’s trained in wushu, a skill he often shows off on variety shows. DISTINGUISHABLE TRAIT: Dark circles under eyes (One of his nicknames is Kung Fu Panda!)
12) C H E N NAME: Chen (Birthname: Kim Jong Dae) HEIGHT: 5’8” BIRTHDAY: September 21, 1992 NATIONALITY: Korean BAND POSITION: Main vocalist IDEAL TYPE: Someone who is noona-like (“noona” = a woman who is older) and will take care of him and treat him well. He also likes a girl who is pretty when she smiles, has a faithful personality and an open mind. FUN FACT: His main specialty is singing high notes (and even participated in a high note battle against fellow EXO members Xiumin and Baekhyun). DISTINGUISHABLE TRAIT: A super sweet smile
In just a matter of days, KCON makes its way back the City of Angels to celebrate all things hallyu. This year’s two-day convention will be filled with workshops and panels and culminate in a star-studded concert and filming of the popular Korean music show,M Countdown.
Excited yet? We know we are!
But just in case you aren’t yet, us here at Audrey wanted to give you taste of what to expect for this year’s show through our musical go-to guide of some of this year’s featured artists!
The newest boy group to come out of mega-label SM Entertainment (and an Audrey favorite!), EXO is a 12-member Korean-Chinese band made up of two subgroups, EXO-K and EXO-M, who promote in both Korea and China. Though they just debuted last year, they have made a name for themselves in the K-Pop industry, already winning an Mnet Asian Music Award (MAMA) for “Best New Asian Act.”
For their latest comeback, the two sub-groups have reunited and have gained notice with their cool, R&B-inspired single “Growl.”
Starting his training at YG Entertainment at the tender age of 13, G-Dragon is known as a K-Pop multi-hyphenate as the leader, a rapper and producer of mega-popular boy group Big Bang. Alongside projects with Big Bang as well as a duo project with fellow Big Bang rapper T.O.P., GD launched his solo career in 2009 with the release of his first album. After his hugely successful “One of a Kind” world tour this past year, he has recently announced the release of his third solo record, “Coup D’Etat,” which will have a feature from hip-hop heavyweight, Missy Elliott.
Debuting in 2010 with TOP Media (the media company founded by Andy of K-Pop legends, Shinhwa), Teen Top broke onto the scene with their first single, “Clap.” With a string of hits under their belt, including “Supa Love” and “Crazy,” the young teen idols will be releasing their new album, “Class,” in the coming weeks.
With a distinct electronic pop sound, f(x) has become known as one of the hottest girl groups in K-Pop today. With songs like “NU ABO,” “Hot Summer,” and “Electric Shock,” the girls are nothing short of a K-Pop powerhouse. Composed of members Luna, Krystal, Amber, Sulli, and Victoria, this SM Entertainment quintet has continued to surprise and delight fans with their unique style.
Henry Lau, known just as Henry, is multi-talented member of Super Junior’s Chinese sub-group, Super Junior-M. Knowing a wide range of languages, including English, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and French, this 23-year old has a penchant for music. He is able to play both the violin and piano and has composed songs. Earlier this year, he released his first solo mini-album, “Trap” and has just released the song “1-4-3” featuring fellow SM Town family member, Amber of f(x).
From JYP/Big Hit Entertainment comes 2AM, a popular ballad group made up of members Seulong, Changmin, Jo Kwon and Jinwoon. Winning their first Mutizen award in 2010 for “Can’t Let You Go Even If I Die,” they have melted hearts with their sweet harmonies and outstanding voices. Earlier this year, they made their Korean comeback with the release of their second full-length album “One Spring Day.”
YU SEUNG WOO
At just 16 years old, Yu Seung Woo first began to catch people’s attention when he appeared on Mnet’s popular singing audition program, Superstar K4. His soothing guitar playing and gentle voice have made many a fan, especially on tracks like “You and I” and “Hello,” off of his recently released album, “First Outing.”
This team, made up of long-time friends Choiza and Gaeko, have become one of the most respected acts in South Korea’s hip-hop scene. Active since 2003, they have released a number of hit albums, including “Taxi Driver” and “Enlightened.”
As the only female rapper to have six platinum albums, to say that Missy Elliott is a major player in the hip-hop scene is an understatement. A five-time Grammy Award-winner, the rapper-producer-singer-songwriter has sold over 30 million records worldwide. With a discography that boasts six albums and 70 singles (including 43 features), including hits like “Work It,” “The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly),” and “One Minute Man.” Her connection to the K-Pop scene? She’s recently collaborated on G-Dragon’s latest album, to be released at the end of this month.
A former member of ‘90s dance duo Clon, DJ Koo is a popular electro-house DJ who made his debut in 2003. Playing festivals like Miami’s Ultra Music Festival, DJ Koo has demonstrated his immense skill and creativity in arranging, mixing and producing electronic dance hits, even mixing for some of K-Pop’s biggest names including f(x) and SHINee. In 2013, he released his latest single, “BOB BOB DEE LALA.”
As a finalist on the 11th season of American Idol, Heejun Han caught America’s attention with his soulful voice and funny antics. Recently singing with Polaris Entertainment in Korea, he will soon be releasing a single in the US entitled “Bring the Love Back” with Pusha T.
Who are you most excited to see this year? Let us know in the comments below!
Audrey Magazine is an award-winning national publication that covers the Asian experience from the perspective of Asian American women. Audrey covers the latest talent and trends in entertainment, fashion, beauty and lifestyle.