When it comes to getting my nails done, I’d like to say that I’m my own manicurist. It’s not that I’m always able to make them look professionally painted but somehow I resort to doing them myself because of the price of a manicure. An average manicure is about $15 – $30, which is not a whole lot, but considering they only last a week a so, the cost really adds up if you keep getting them redone. A good quality nail polish costs about $6 – $9 and you can probably use it for more than ten times. Let’s say you also buy a base coat and a top coat, that will add to about $18 – $27; if you get a manicure done by a beautician ten times, that’s $150 – $300. That’s a huge price difference. I understand that you get the whole package at a salon, including filing, buffing and cuticle treatment, but I guess nothing beats the comfort of my own home personally.
That being said, it does take some practice until you’re able to get your nails nicely done by yourself, but we do have some tips!
1. Start with a layer of base coat – this is to protect your nails from the colorful nail polish and prevent them from turning yellow
2. Paint two layers of your favorite nail color – it is necessary to do two layers to bring out the color and cover your natural nail color (if you’re using something opaque and not sheer)
3. Seal with a top coat – this gives your nails a glossy shine and helps them last longer
1. Don’t worry too much about painting within the lines; you can always wipe the sides with a Q-tip soaked with nail varnish
2. Do your nails the day before a big event, not the day of. Anything painted outside the lines tend to disappear within a day so it looks as if you made no mistakes.
3. Use a glittery polish if you’re a beginner. Mess-ups are less obvious with glittery polish than with solid colored ones.
4. Always thin out your nail polish if it’s getting thick. It’s really hard to apply goopy nail polish. Here’s how to do it properly.
5. If you messed up a little, you can always conceal it with some nail art. You even get more compliments! But don’t forget to add another layer of top coat after applying your nail art.
How to apply nail art:
1. Some nail arts come with adhesive, so you can just put it on your nail directly. Though this is simpler, it does come off more easily.
2. If there is no adhesive, I recommended using tweezers. Get your top coat and apply it to the bottom of your nail art before placing it onto your nail.
3. I am personally incapable of doing anything with my left hand, so I use toothpicks instead for rhinestones. I dip the tip of the toothpick in my top coat so that it’s able to pick up the rhinestone and the rest of the process is the same (applying top coat to the bottom and then placing onto the nail).
4. When you’ve achieved your desired design, seal it with another layer of top coat and you’re done!
I love food delivery. I think everything should be delivered. And on those days when I’m working late at the office, glued to my computer screen, I keep reminding myself that someone out there — somewhere — you need to start a cocktail delivery service!
And if not cocktails, why not beauty at your doorstep?
You’ve all heard of Minx™ nails by now, haven’t you? It’s the super chic molten metal look for your fingernails, sported by all the trendiest stars. Essentially what it is is a solid film with an adhesive back that is heat activated. The result is a stand-out, “wow” manicure.
And now Manicures R Mobile™ brings it to your home or office. No more waiting, no more lines. Manicures R Mobile™ brings the luxury, professionalism and pampering of a spa straight to you.
And they don’t do just nails (though it’s worth mentioning that they use polishes that are non-toxic and free from DBP, formaldehyde and tuolene). Indulge in a massage, a makeover, waxing, spray tanning, even wig styling! The treatments are performed by a team of renowned celebrity nail, makeup, hair and body artists who work on and off the red carpet for socialites, stay-at-home moms and working professionals. Manicures R Mobile™ does party packages, too (it is bachelorette party season …).
So for one very, very lucky Audrey reader, we are going to hook you up with a Minx™ manicure and pedicure from Manicures R Mobile™. The only catch? You have to be in the Los Angeles area to win. (Sorry East Coasters!) Manicures R Mobile™ are solely L.A.-based for now, but I have a feeling it’s a trend that catching on (think taco trucks).
So get commenting below! You have until Wednesday, June 23, 11:59 pm to enter!