ISSUE: Summer 2011
DEPT: Plugged In
HED: Jeannie Mai, How Do I Look? The Style Network
STORY: Anna M. Park
As host of How Do I Look?, The Style Network’s popular “fashion intervention” series, celebrity stylist Jeannie Mai has seen it all. And this season, she’s tackling class reunions and preventing wedding debacles. Here, some of Jeannie’s dos for the blushing bride.
1) Do use the web. The Internet is your real maid of honor. Write down the designer name and item number of anything you like in a bridal boutique. Then Google it with the keyword “discount,” “final sale” or “cheap.” Chances are you’ll find a better deal.
2) Do contact blogs. Nowadays everyone has a blog and companies are looking for ways to advertise on them. Check your guest list and see if you’ve invited anybody who has an active blog. Talk to her about getting companies (fashion, accessories, food, etc.) to sponsor your wedding by being featured on her blog.
3) Do save money for your bridesmaids. Invite them to wear any LBD, then style it up with different color themes to set them apart. They can get creative with necklaces, gloves, even hats. If they’re on a budget, you can pick accessories to gift to your girls.
More stories from Audrey Magazine’s Archives here.
As the host of How Do I Look? on The Style Network, Jeannie Mai knows a thing or two about looking good and, perhaps more importantly, how not to look bad. Here, her do’s for that upcoming class reunion, and her top five summer reads.
Miss Congeniality: Jeannie Mai of E! Style network’s How Do I Look? is making a name for herself, one look at a time.
ISSUE: Summer 2010
STORY: Anne H. Kim
Jeannie Mai is probably the only person who gets paid to rummage through people’s closets and toss out anything that doesn’t meet the rules of good dressing. It can get ugly (and we don’t mean just the clothes). The dressing-impaired who appear on E! Style network’s How Do I Look? have been known to break down in tears, plead their case in a desperate attempt to get just a bit more mileage out of a tired college sweatshirt, and just plain get defensive. It’s a delicate operation to say the least. But as the show’s newest host (Mai took over for Finola Hughes), Mai deals out her fashion judgment with such a sunny and bubbly disposition that those who (grudgingly) appear on the show are won over soon enough. Mai’s happy-go-lucky attitude doesn’t seem to know boundaries either. Besides boosting up the self-esteem of her Look guests, she also reports on fashion and entertainment on Extra with Mario Lopez and chums it up with Natalie Morales as the resident fashion expert on Today. Mai is quickly building a brand as a congenial host with plenty of personality. She’s even adding a fresh dose of high energy into Avon as the iconic beauty company’s resident fashion expert.
Get Audrey Magazine’s Summer 2010 issue, available now!
* Easy summer hair and skin
* Fashion gets graphic with slashes, cut-outs and scribbles
* Jeannie Mai of E! Style’s How Do I Look and Extra
* Shoe designer Jinny Kim
* Comedian Steve Byrne
* Hip-hop/electronic band Far East Movement
* The Asian American dance phenomenon, including Jabbawockeez, Kaba Modern, and Asako Hara
* Plus fashion, beauty, entertaining, travel and more!
If you’re a subscriber, keep an eye out in your mailbox. If you’re not a subscriber, we make it easy for you! Just get our Summer issue now at AudreyShops.