Heroic 9-Year-Old Girl Helps Father Escape From Burning House

 

I’ll be the first to admit that if I were to wake up to my house on fire, panic would probably be the very first emotion to take over. That was not the case however, for 9-year-old Galaxy Kong of Hayward, Calif., who woke up last Thursday morning to a house filled with smoke.

Immediately, all the fire safety skills she picked up from school kicked into action. She ran to her father, who was still deep asleep despite the raging fire. After waking him, she scoped the scene and noticed there was too much smoke blocking the way out.

She then instructed her father to open the window while she closed the door and placed towels under the door to prevent the smoke from entering the room. Firefighters say that this small but important trick that she learned during fire safety training at school is what helped save their lives.

 

 

With towels blocking the smoke, Galaxy had enough time to guide her father out the window before the smoke overpowered them. A nearby construction crew helped assist them out of the second story window and both left the scene uninjured.

The fire, which allegedly began in the kitchen, was extinguished within about 20 minutes after it was reported at about 7 a.m.

Although Galaxy looks small and cute as she’s wrapped in a blanket following the events of the fire, I think it’s safe to say we have a hero in our midst.