I have a close guy friend’s birthday coming, and it hasn’t been easy figuring out what to do with/for him. Dinner and drinks seem to be the obvious and uncreative choice, and all the places I’d like to take him feel like they’re more for me than him. I’m sure he would enjoy the effort, but I’m not too sure if spending the day at MOCA to view abstract art is his idea of a happy birthday.
For those of you who may have struggled to put something together for that special man friend in your life, here are a few out-of-the-ordinary places in LA that I think would be worth a visit on his special day.
• 134,000 sq. ft. of Alice in Wonderland flowers, foilage sculptures, and an azalea pool
• Perks: It’s free. Pack a picnic basket, throw in a bottle of wine or champagne, and take in the beautiful Santa Monica view. The Getty Center is right there as another option.
• Personal favorites: The sloping grassy lawns and the small babies playing
• Location: 1200 Getty Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA (West LA)
• Head’s up: Parking is $15
• All-You-Can-Eat Korean BBQ
• $17.99/person for all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ and 5 generous side dishes
• Perks: open till 2am every day, 10+ meat choices
• Personal favorites: Black Angus Beef Brisket, Beef Short Ribs, Thick Sliced Pork Belly
• Location: 3821 W 6th Street, Los Angeles, CA (Koreatown)
• Head’s up: make reservations ahead of time, the line gets cuhrazyyy
• Build-your-own ice cream sandwiches
• $1.75 for any combination of two freshly baked cookies and one flavor ice cream
• Perks: 10 cookie selections, 12 ice cream flavors
• Personal favorites: chocolate chip and white chocolate macadamia nut cookies with cookie dough ice cream
• Location: 926 Broxton Avenue, Westwood, CA
• Head’s up: weekend nights are pretty busy, so get there early!
• Improv and Sketch comedy shows every night
• $5-10 per show, and your ticket gets you in for the rest of the night
• Perks: Bar with cheap drinks, dope comedy, $5 valet parking with validation
• Personal favorites: King Ten, Kind Strangers, Opening Night
• Location: 6366 Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood, CA
• Hidden rock n’ roll and blues dive bar in Old Town Pasadena
• Perks: $3 shots/mini cocktails, $6 micro brew on tap, live music, private patio, artsy speak-easy vibe, inviting atmosphere
• Personal favorites: Loch Ness green sake shots, Honey Blonde amber ale
• Location: 66 N. Fair Oaks Avenue, Pasadena Old Towne, CA
• Fun fact: The building itself is 100 years old and used to be a fire station. It’s tucked away in a small alley away from the main road. Take Holly Street, east of Fair Oaks