Not all Asians look the same. I repeat, not all Asians look the same.
It seems no matter how many times we say it, people simply assume that all Asians share the same physical features. Some believe we all have the same body structure and others even think we all have the same kind of hair.
Of course, we know this is absurd. We know that there are plenty of ethnicities which categorize under the umbrella term “Asian” and we know there are plenty of Asians who are of mixed race. So why do people think all Asians look the alike?
Well it may have a thing or two to do with media’s portrayal of Asians. If audiences have only been exposed to a very particular type of Asian, how can they know we’re all different? This lack of exposure may be the very reason many celebs who are bi-racial or multiracial often become overlooked in the Asian community.
Even if they don’t necessarily “look it,” all of the following celebrities are Asian. Check out our list of 20 Asian celebs you probably didn’t know were Asian.
1) Vanessa Hudgens (Part Filipino, Part Chinese)
2) Tiger Woods (Part Thai, Part Chinese)
3) Chad Michael Murray (Quarter Japanese)
4) Dean Cain (Quarter Japanese)
5) Nicole Scherzinger (Half Filipino)
6)Keanu Reeves (Quarter Hawaiian, Quarter Chinese)
7) Darren Criss (Half Filipino)
8) Ne-Yo (Quarter Chinese)
9) Apl.de.ap (Filipino*)
10) Jennifer Tilly (Half Chinese)
11) Enrique Iglesias (Half Filipino)
12) Amerie Rogers (Half Korean)
13) Mark-Paul Gosselaar (Quarter Indonesian)
14) Kristin Kreuk (Half Chinese)
15) Kimora Lee Simmons (Half Korean*)
16) Norah Jones (Half Indian)
17) Rob Schneider (Quarter Filipino)
18) Chanel Iman (Half Korean)
19) Lindsay Price (Half Korean)
20) Michelle Branch (Quarter Indonesian)
*Thank you Audrey readers for your corrections.