1. Asians win big at CFDA (Council of Fashion Designers of America): Philip Lim, Joseph Altuzarra, and Rei Kawakubo.
Comme des Garcons’s Rei Kawakubo Wins CFDA International Award for 2012. Photo courtesy of CFDA.
Joseph Altuzarra, Phillip Lim and Tabitha Simmons win Swarovksi Award for Emerging Talent in Womenswear, Menswear and Accessories, respectively. Photo courtesy of Vogue.com.
2. Making Headlines in 2012: Alexander Wang
Alexander Wang was appointed Balenciaga’s new Creative Director (in a controversial move) and named one of Forbes’ Top Fashion and Arts Stars Under 30. Wang was also hit with a $450 million dollar lawsuit, accused of running a sweatshop in Chinatown, Manhattan. In 2013, Wang will open 15 more shops under his name in the states. Photo courtesy of NewYorker.com.
3. Designer Collaborations: Yayoi Kusama for Louis Vuitton, Jason Wu for Target
We thoroughly enjoyed Yayoi Kusama’s whimsical collaboration with Louis Vuitton, which launched in July 2012. Photo courtesy of Louis Vuitton.
The Jason Wu x Target collection sold out within hours online – and created quite the hysteria at Targets across America. Photo courtesy of Target.
4. Liu Wen Cracks Models.Com Top Five List
Liu Wen wearing Roberto Cavalli at “Amour” premiere at Cannes Film Festival in December 2012. Wen became the first Asian model to crack Models.com Top Five list. Photo courtesy of beautyisdiverse.com.
5. More Jobs for Models of Color: Asian models make up second largest ethnic group showing at New York Fashion Week (Spring/Summer 2013)
Shu Pei for Vera Wang (Spring/Summer 2013) at New York Fashion Week in September 2012. Approximately 60 Asian male and female models were used for various brands on the runway for a total of 476 looks (10.1% of total runway looks). Photo courtesy of Asian Models Blog.