All right, I’ll be the first to admit it. Shopping for us picky Asian girls is no easy feat. Not only do you have to keep up with the Chongs, you may feel that you also have to able to read our minds to please us.
When it comes to pleasing an Asian girl, Valentine’s Day is definitely the time to do it, so listen up to these Valentine gift ideas:
1) Surprise her with she needs or at least what she thinks she needs. Whether you’ve just started dating her or been in a one-year relationship for your picky Asian girl, one rule still holds: LISTEN to the subtle clues she
drops when talking to her friends, family, or the mailman. Even when you think that you shouldn’t be listening in on that gaggle of girl talk, listen. Even when she says she doesn’t want that item or need you to buy it because
it’s too expensive, err on the side of getting it for her. If you overhear her casually mention to the dog sitter that she’s been looking everywhere for this piece of rock climbing equipment that will make her life a hundred times
easier, she’s actually talking to you, so get a clue. If you can get her what she wants without her even having to ask you, then you’re golden… for another year at least.
2) Do something cultural together.
Tickets to the theatre, dance or the opera shows that you have class and are cultured. That’s always a plus. Bonus points if it’s a well reviewed show where the tickets are hard to find and you had to give an arm and a leg in favors to get good seats. Even more bonus points if it’s a show that all her friends want to go to but can’t because they couldn’t get tickets. If she’s a real theater nut – a recommendation to a new show that she doesn’t even know about that has good reviews and is a good production will be well received. Ticketmaster.com is a place to start.
3) Cook an extremely fancy home-cooked meal. Screw going out to eat. Invite her to her own personal Michelin Star restaurant to eat with the head chef – you. Show her that she’s worth your time and your money by putting together a fancy gourmet home-cooked meal. We’re not taking about microwaveable pizza here. I’m talking about a four-course meal – a charcuterie platter, seared salmon, arugula salad, a great bottle of Brunello, candles, and hired live music. Try some of these scrumptious Valentine Day recipes from delish.com and if you’re overwhelmed menu planning, use pepperplate.com to organize recipes and create your shopping list.
4) Gift certificates are always good.
It’s like giving her cash to do exactly what she loves doing – shopping – but without making her feel like a prostitute by giving her your credit card or filthy cash. Try a gift certificate to an off the beaten path restaurant or a little one of a kind boutique or a spa. Kudos if she’s never heard of it before, but is blown away by the place because it’s 100% her style. She’ll appreciate discovering these cute new places to spend her gift certificate.
5) A classy piece of jewelry that reflects her personality. Don’t be cheap in this department. Picky Asian girls don’t like cheap. It doesn’t have to cost hundreds of dollars as long as it looks classy and sophisticated. Stay away from costume jewelry that is downright garish and tacky no matter what the price tag says and please, take the price tag off the gift when you give it her. Do not tell her that you got a great deal on it and that it was on sale, even if it was. The important thing here is to find her something of value and unique, not something that everyone else already has.
Here are a few ideas: If she’s a cutting-edge sophisticate, try these funky bamboo rings from the New York and Florence-based handmade bijoux jewelry company Mellina & Co. (Side note: this ring is being featured in Audrey’s Spring ’11 issue so you’ll totally be a trendsetter if you get it!)
Or if she’s more of a bohemian spirit, how about this cool Josephine ring from NYC-based online company Langoliers NYC.
For all you lucky Audrey Magazine readers, we are offering a chance to win a bamboo ring from Mellina and Co. or a Josephine ring from Langoliers!
HOW TO ENTER:
1) SUBSCRIBE to Audrey Magazine. (Wanna get Audrey? You can subscribe HERE.
2) VISIT Mellina and Co. and Langoliers‘ sites.
2) FOLLOW: Audrey Magazine on Twitter and Facebook.
3) SPREAD THE WORD: Retweet the contest to your friends. Link @audreymagazine so we’ll see you did this! Also repost on your Facebook wall and tag @audrey magazine.
* If you’re not on Twitter or Facebook, you can still enter! Instead of tweeting…
4) COMMENT BELOW: Tell us which ring you like, the A) BAMBOO ring or the B) JOSEPHINE ring.
YOU MAY ENTER AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WISH!
Contest ends TUESDAY, February 14, 2012.
You must have a U.S. mailing address to win. GOOD LUCK!
Mellina & Co. and Langoliers are also kind enough to offer Audrey readers a discount when you shop at their websites. Use the code: AUDREY2012 for a 20% discount at Mellina & Co. and the code: “iloveaudrey” for a 30% discount at Langoliers. This incredible deal will last until the end of February so get your shopping on!
And at the end of the day, no matter what you decide to do for your sweetie on Valentine’s Day, keep the receipt. Just in case.